What MOCHA Does
Engaging students in a range of visual arts disciplines that connect with
their interests and studies and
deepen their understanding through exposure to a diversity of periods, styles and cultures
MOCHA’s Afterschool Art at the Library Program directly aligns with our mission to provide meaningful arts learning opportunities to children who are at risk academically and/or reside in communities underserved by the arts and cultural programming
MOCHA emphasizes outreach to culturally, linguistically and economically diverse populations in communities that do not typically have wide access to the arts.
"Arts subjects encourage self-expression and creativity and can build confidence as well as a sense of individual identity; studying arts subjects also help to develop critical thinking and the ability to interpret the world around us.” - Tate.org
MOCHA's CORE VALUES
Fostering imagination and nurturing original ideas is foundational to MOCHA’s operations.
MOCHA exists to facilitate and strengthen connections between all members of our community, including students, teachers, parents, educators, staff, administrators, local officials & beyond.
“No” is a word we try to avoid. At MOCHA, when there is an opportunity that supports our community and our mission, we always look for the “Yes” in every situation.
At MOCHA, all of our work is in the service of ensuring access to the arts for everyone, especially those who are historically underserved.
- Tue, Jun 01OaklandJun 01, 8:00 AM – Aug 01, 12:00 PMOakland, 1221 Broadway LL-49, Oakland, CA 94612, USACommunity Futures School students will develop agency in futures literacy by creating a set of future prototypes as art, 3D models and forecasting games to exhibit regularly at MOCHA Porch Talks, publish a community accessible report and create an interactive website to showcase youth & community..
- Mon, Jul 26OaklandJul 26, 8:00 AM – Jul 30, 3:00 PMOakland, 1221 Broadway LL-49, Oakland, CA 94612, USAJuly 26, 2021 - July 30, 2021 Everyone knows what their favorite color is, but do you know where colors come from and how colors are created? Campers will get to be part artists, part scientists, investigating color theory through light and pigment. Everyone will create a color journal where they...
- Mon, Aug 02OaklandAug 02, 8:00 AM – Aug 06, 3:00 PMOakland, 1221 Broadway LL-49, Oakland, CA 94612, USAAugust 2, 2021 - August 6, 2021 Welcome to Fashion Camp!!! Campers will be challenged to express themselves through fashion using a variety of materials and techniques. Get ready for daily journaling, creative collective brainstorming, and deconstruction of how we currently view fashion and what...
- Mon, Aug 09OaklandAug 09, 8:00 AM – Aug 14, 3:00 PMOakland, 1221 Broadway LL-49, Oakland, CA 94612, USAAugust 9, 2021 - August 14, 2021 Each camper will receive their own laptops to use at MOCHA where they will learn Python, a simple programming language, focusing on a very basic understanding of software engineering. Literacy & art will be integrated daily. This isn’t just a coding camp, we will...
- Mon, Aug 16OaklandAug 16, 8:00 AM – Aug 20, 12:00 PMOakland, 1221 Broadway LL-49, Oakland, CA 94612, USAAugust 16, 2021 - August 20, 2021 To plant a seed is to believe in tomorrow. During this camp, students will discover the science and art of plants. From germinating seeds to observing and creatively capturing plant life-cycle and much more. Students will print with beet juice, design succulent....